Google

Monday, May 5, 2008

How to tell if you have migraines

headache

I know before I was diagnosed, I didn't link two and two together, and for others like me that may be young and/ or uneducated on the topic, I have decided to post a list of things that may help you to know whether you may have them or not so you can better talk to your doctor about it.

First of all, if you are taking more than 2 over the counter pain medications per week, you have a problem and you should definitely see your doctor. I was taking over the counter meds for 3 years straight. It wasn't until all OTC medications seemed to stop working for me that I sought a doctor's help (by this time, I was at the end of my rope).

migraine

Migraine without Aura Symptoms: *

1. At least 5 headaches that fulfill criteria in #2 and #4
2. Headache lasting 4 to 72 hours (untreated or unsuccessfully treated)
3. Headache has at least 2 of the following characteristics:
a. unilateral location
b. pulsating pain
c. moderate or severe intensity (prohibits daily activity)
d. aggravation by or causing avoidance of routine physical activity

4. During headache, at least one of the following occurs:
a. Nausea and/or vomiting
b. Photophobia and phonophobia (sensitive to sunlight and/or noise)

5. At least one of the following is present:
a. History and physical and neurological examinations do suggest such disorder, but it is ruled out by appropriate investigations.
b. History and/or physical and/or neurologic examinations do suggest such disorder, but it is ruled out by appropriate investications.
c. Such disorder is present, but migraine attacks do not occur for the first time in close temporal relation to the disorder.

(*Adapted from Headache Classification Subcommittee of the International Headache Society, 2004)

If you do have these symptoms as I did, please see your doctor as soon as possible. This isn't pain that you can handle on your own.

No comments:




Casting Crowns - I Know You're There
The song playing is from this CD: